Physical Therapy and Wellness for Senior Wellness and Fitness in Fargo North Dakota and Moorhead Minnesota
How do you define Wellness?
As the human body ages, there can be a significant decline in strength, placing you at risk for mobility decline, falls, and increased pains. In addition, there is a gradual progression of postural changes and loss of flexibility which is normal but can lead to postural abnormalities and altered movement patterns.
The principles of motor control state that to have optimal locomotion, the human body must first achieve a balance between proximal stability and distal mobility. Your strength and endurance are reflective of your everyday functional tasks.
So naturally, if you are not strong enough in the hips, you may experience difficulty standing from a chair or lifting your laundry basket from the floor. Similarly, if you are weak in your shoulder, you may have difficulty placing dishes in your cupboard. If you lack endurance, you may have trouble going for a walk with your grandchildren.
Evidence tells us that progressive exercises get you stronger over time. There is no specific evidence to support one style of strengthening over another. We know for certain that progressive overload is key to maintaining and improving your strength, endurance, and ultimately your function so that you can live WELL!
Wellness Services for Seniors from COMPETE Physical Therapy in Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota
- Walking inside or outside (yes, we can meet you at your favorite trail)
- Balance (walking, standing or sitting)
- Weakness, Flexibility, Coordination
- Fitness (maintaining your strength)
- Navigating curbs, steps and stairs
- Standing from a chair
- Fear of falling
The First Step to Greater Wellness for Seniors
First, COMPETE Physical Therapy completes a thorough functional assessment to determine your baseline strength & mobility.
- Full body examination helps identify impairments
- Our first session may last 1-1/2 hours in length to include the exam and a customized home program
- COMPETE Physical Therapy takes the time to discuss the findings and plan for your care based on your goals
The Next Step to Greater Wellness in Fargo North Dakota and Moorhead Minnesota
- Your exercises are based on weaknesses found from your assessment
- The exercise program is centered around functional tasks so that you become stronger, more balanced so that you can get back to doing what you need to, with less difficulty
- Your program will be progressed within your tolerance
- All equipment necessary for your care is brought to you
- Maintenance visits as needed to keep up your gains
- Continue home exercise program to keep up on your own
- Get back to doing what you love so that you can live your best life!
Schedule with COMPETE Physical Therapy & Wellness in Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota today!